Discover Engineering Program
Each year the American Council of Engineering Companies of Minnesota (ACEC/MN) sponsors a High School Engineering Program to introduce students to the field of engineering. The program offers first-hand insights into engineering careers and covers many of the different types of engineering required to design a project including civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, and geotechnical. We are excited to award a senior in our program with a $500 scholarship!
The group meets Monday nights throughout the fall at local engineering firms' offices. Each firm will work with students to illustrate how they contribute to an overall project and engage students in a hands-on activity related to their work.
New last year was Technology Night – a night where students had the opportunity to explore new cutting-edge technologies more deeply, such as virtual reality (VR), photogrammetry and modeling software, laser printing, 3D printing, and drone demonstrations, to name a few.
During this program, students also tour engineering offices and facilities to experience engineering first-hand, including:
- BKBM Engineers (structural engineering)
- Braun Intertec (geotechnical engineering)
- HR Green, Inc. (water treatment/wastewater engineering)
- Isthmus Engineering, Inc. (transportation engineering)
- Kimley-Horn (transit/light rail design)
- Short Elliott Hendrickson, Inc. (modeling/3D printing)
- Ulteig Engineers (renewable energy generation)
- WSB & Associates, Inc. (transportation planning/urban development)
To begin the program, each year we invite students and parents to a kick-off event in late September at HGA in Minneapolis. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the program and meet the engineering representatives and other explorers.
Look for more information this summer.
For more information, contact the ACEC/MN office at 952-593-5533.